Wednesday, December 31, 2014

The Gambler

     I am reminded of the lyrics to the Kenny Rogers song "The Gambler" as I talk about my 13th half marathon of the year.  The song lyrics say:
"You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run" 
     
     I didn't know when to "hold 'em" or "when to run" but I did know when to walk away.  I went into this race with some mild heel pain that had started the weekend before.  It really didn't hurt much throughout the week so I thought it would be okay to get in one more race.  I quickly found out that I was wrong.  I ran the first mile.  The pain started to get worse.  I decided to walk and continued to do so for the next 4 miles.  I like to finish everything I start so it was REALLY hard for me to make the decision to "walk away" and call this race quits.  However, that is exactly what I did.  Well, it was more like I hobbled away.  I was very upset but I know I made the right decision.  
   
     After a visit to my massage therapist and an ortho screening at a local physical therapist, it was determined that I have plantar fasciitis.  It is a common running injury but I had never had it before.  In my case,  it is believed to have been caused by a very tight calf muscle.  My next race isn't until the end of February (Disney Glass Slipper Challenge).  Until then, a lacrosse ball, the cold pool, and other stretching devices will be my best friends.  Have you ever had a running injury?  If so, did you know when to walk away?






No comments:

Post a Comment