Sunday, January 18, 2015

Virtual Races

     Running is an expensive hobby.  I don't think anyone can argue with me on that point.  There are registration fees, hotel stays, meals, travel expenses, shoes, clothing, massages, foam rollers and other gadgets, etc.  The list could go on and on.  Last year, I discovered virtual races.  They have their pros and cons but they are a great way to run a "race" and cut down on some costs.

     Let's look at the pros.  First, you can run some virtual races throughout the year which may help you reach a goal if you want to run a certain number of races.  I ran 3 virtual half marathons last year which helped me reach my goal of 12 for the year.  Second, the cost is much less than having to travel to an official race.  Finally, you still get the bling!! The medals are actually quite nice.  

     There are always some cons.  Virtual races aren't as much fun as official races.  There aren't swarms of people.   There is no expo to attend.  You don't have a finish line to cross.  No photo ops.  However, you can still run with a friend to make it more fun.  

     The only site I used last year to sign up for virtual races was US Road Running.  Recently, I found a new one called Will Run for Bling and Charity.  There are also many official races that offer a virtual option.  The Jeff Galloway 13.1 is offereing a virtual option.  I will be signing up for a couple of virtuals again this year.  How do you feel about virtual races?  Will you be running any this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment